Can dogs eat garlic? What are the symptoms when a dog eats garlic


Can dogs eat garlic

Garlic is an essential condiment in people's lives, not only for its anti-toxic and anti-bacterial effects, but also to make a variety of delicious dishes. People with pet dogs often feed their dogs food with garlic, but can dogs eat garlic?
Dogs can eat garlic but there are three considerations.
1. Puppies under two months old cannot be given garlic.
2, garlic can not eat raw.
3, can not often feed garlic to dogs to eat.
There are certain benefits to giving your dog a little garlic to help get rid of the parasites on your dog's body, and it also has a certain role in promoting your dog's health and fitness, but you should never eat more of it or eat it raw.

Dogs can eat garlic, but the following three aspects must be paid special attention.
First, if the dog is anemic, it is not allowed to eat garlic. Therefore, puppies under two months of age should not be given garlic because their blood production is not very strong.

Secondly, eating too much garlic can seriously damage the red blood cells in the dog's body, which will not only cause blood in the urine but also cause the dog's organs to fail and die in severe cases.

Third, garlic can be given to dogs, but eating it often can cause vomiting and diarrhea, breathing difficulties and other toxic phenomena.

Any food that is not exclusive to dogs should be given to them in small amounts, as eating too much can easily cause conditions in your dog's body.

Can dogs eat garlic? What are the symptoms when a dog eats garlic

Does it matter if a dog eats garlic

It is important for dogs to eat garlic.
Raw or cooked onions and shallots contain disulfides, which are harmless to humans but cause oxidation of red blood cells in cats, dogs, sheep, horses, and cattle. It may trigger hemolytic anemia.
Dogs are sensitive to certain types of sulfides that have an anticoagulant effect (not that they are sensitive to all anticoagulant components) and can easily cause toxicity. These sulfides are found in onions, shallots, and garlic and are not easily destroyed by processing (raw or cooked, they are also found in garlic). That is to say, the average person is fine to eat these, but also to play a certain anti-coagulant health care role in the prevention of fulminant diseases, and for dogs, more likely to eat down the resistance over the head, thus triggering hemolytic anemia.
(1) raw cooked onions, onions, garlic can not eat a lot, the principle of poisoning is the same, but garlic because of the poisoning ingredients a little less relatively less prone to poisoning.
(2) A small amount of onion, shallot and garlic will not cause too many problems and there is no need to be too panic.
(3) If a large number of accidentally eaten, found within 1-2 hours (at this time certainly no symptoms), can induce vomiting, with 2% tincture of iodine 2-5ml, diluted 10 times instillation; not in time to find or appear symptoms of poisoning up, take vitamin E, and drink more water or use diuretics to accelerate metabolism off.

What are the symptoms when a dog eats garlic

Dogs that eat garlic can show signs of poisoning, which can manifest as blood in the urine, vomiting, diarrhea, and hemolysis. This is because garlic contains N-propyl disulfide, which reduces the activity of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase, which protects hemoglobin in red blood cells from damage by oxidation reactions. When phosphate dehydrogenase and glutathione are lacking in dogs, hemolysis of dog red blood cells can occur.

When large amounts of garlic are fed to dogs, it causes oxidative damage to their red blood cells, resulting in a medical phenomenon called Heinz microsomal anemia. Even more ironically, garlic is an accepted condiment, spice or flavoring in pet food, but the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) lists it in its toxic plant database. This is because a study showed that excessive intake of garlic (5 grams of garlic per kilogram of body weight consumed) may damage the red blood cells of dogs.

What to do if your puppy eats garlic
The taste of garlic is relatively strong, and dogs may have a mouth full of garlic after eating it, and the dog's mouth is not comfortable. Then when the dog owner found that the dog eat garlic should pay attention to stop in time, the dog eat too much garlic is also bad for the body, here is how to solve the dog eat garlic.
1-Appropriate education for dogs
In normal life, if the dog owner does not pay attention to the preservation of ingredients, it may be eaten by the dog, the dog owner should pay attention to the appropriate education of the dog, education of the dog what is allowed to eat, what is not allowed to eat, over time the dog naturally know what is allowed to eat, which is not eaten. Otherwise, dogs want to eat everything they see is not good.
2 - Help your dog clean his mouth
After the dog eats garlic dog owners should pay attention to help the dog clean mouth, if there is residue in the dog's mouth, then the residue should be taken out, the taste of garlic is relatively heavy, the dog may not feel anything to eat, but the mouth is uncomfortable, the dog owner can brush the dog's teeth, so the mouth is not so uncomfortable, if the dog is not like brushing teeth, then you can give the dog to use the state of fun dog Mouthwash gargle.
When using the 500ML of water poured into a cap of mouthwash stirred evenly after the dog to drink water can be, so it can also clean the dog's mouth.
3 - Pay attention to the preservation of ingredients
Dog owners should pay attention to the preservation of ingredients at home, the ingredients in the refrigerator, if some need to put room temperature, the dog owner to put the ingredients in a high place, so that the dog can not reach will not eat. Also pay attention to check the home ingredients have not deteriorated, the dog ate spoiled ingredients is also bad, if found to have deteriorated to promptly throw away the ingredients, when throwing do not put in the trash at home, so the dog can eat, the dog owner can take the ingredients downstairs to throw, so the dog can not eat.
It is necessary to be careful in the process of raising your dog, and you need to take care of your dog in many ways, so that it is good for your dog and your dog can always be with you.

Does your dog need to be cooked to eat garlic

1 - Check your dog's mouth

Dogs may have some garlic residue left in their mouths when they eat garlic, or they may stay in their mouths if the dog owner finds it early before the dog is able to swallow it completely, so the dog owner should pay attention to check the dog's mouth and clean the garlic residue in the dog's mouth so that the dog does not have as much garlic in his stomach. If it is stuck in the teeth then the dog owner can use dental floss to clean it.

2 - Clean the dog's mouth

After checking the dog's mouth, the owner should rinse the dog's mouth with water. The smell of garlic is strong, and the owner can brush the dog's teeth to clean the mouth and brush out the garlic residue stuck in the dog's teeth. If the dog does not like to brush its teeth, then the owner can give the dog a mouthwash using the State Fun Dog Mouthwash and can also use it in normal care.

3 - Timely disposal of food at home

The dog owner should pay attention to the food in the kitchen after the above treatment, and put some food that has a big smell or that the dog can't eat in a place where the dog can't reach, so that the dog won't appear to eat garlic again. In addition to garlic dog owners should also pay attention to the timely disposal of spoiled food, so that dogs do not eat spoiled food again by mistake.

In normal life dog owners should pay attention to watch the dog, do not let the dog into the kitchen to avoid a similar situation again. If the dog owner uses the above methods after nothing, and the dog also appears some vomiting, diarrhea, then the dog owner should pay attention to the dog to the vet in a timely manner, do not deal with private home.
  • Category:Dogs feeding
  • Views:421 Views
  • Release Date:2022-06-17 17:55:33
  • Link to this article:
  • Share to:

    Was this article helpful to you?