Can dogs eat chocolate? What are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs
Can dogs eat chocolate
Dogs are not allowed to eat chocolate because it contains theobromine and caffeine, and the dog's body does not produce the enzymes to digest theobromine and caffeine, so the theobromine in chocolate can poison the dog, and the caffeine in chocolate can poison the dog. The more pure the chocolate is (the higher the content of theobromine and caffeine) the more likely it is that the dog will be poisoned.
What are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs
Dogs do not show symptoms immediately when they first ingest chocolate, but usually show symptoms of poisoning about 10 hours after eating chocolate. The initial symptoms of poisoning are nervous excitement, vigorous exercise, easily stimulated seizures, and a sudden increase in water intake that may be accompanied by violent vomiting. When the poisoning time is a little longer dogs will show symptoms of diarrhea, increased urination, rapid heartbeat, rapid breathing, increased blood pressure and purple eyes. If the dose of poisoning is too high, dogs with severe poisoning may experience involuntary muscle tremors, convulsions, depression or even coma, and eventually die of respiratory failure.
What to do if your dog has eaten chocolate
When we find out that your dog has eaten chocolate or has eaten chocolate by mistake, we must first induce vomiting to get the dog to vomit before the toxins are absorbed into the body. The common use of vomiting can be fed with hydrogen peroxide with saline. After vomiting, we need to go to the vet for a blood test to see if there are any abnormalities in the physiological indicators, and it is best to keep the dog in the hospital for observation in case of an emergency. Fluids should be administered to speed up the metabolism of the dog and to treat the symptoms according to the clinical signs.
Precautions and treatment methods
Can dogs eat chocolate?
It is not scientific to put aside the dose and talk about poisoning. For different sizes of dogs, the dose that can cause life-threatening is also different. The lowest lethal dose for dogs is 150mg/kg, and the content of caffeine and theobromine in different chocolates is also different.
2, can not get lucky
Can dogs eat chocolate?
Some owners will think that there is no problem for dogs to eat a small piece of chocolate. But the dog did not eat chocolate poisoning just because the dose is not enough, not chocolate non-toxic. So you can't take any chances, for the health and safety of the dog, you must eliminate any possibility of the dog eating chocolate.
Can dogs eat chocolate?
Dogs who accidentally eat chocolate will vomit, diarrhea, rapid heartbeat after poisoning, and some dogs may even run around wildly and go into shock with muscle spasms. Dogs can die quickly when the dose is too high. Pay attention to the observation, and in case of emergency, send to the doctor as soon as possible.
Dogs eat chocolate how to do
When we found that the dog accidentally eat chocolate, the first step to do is to induce vomiting, using hydrogen peroxide and saline, one to six for the preparation, let the dog drink, to induce vomiting. Next, we check the chocolate packaging to estimate the amount of methylxanthine, and estimate whether the poisoning threshold of the dog has been reached. If the threshold is exceeded, immediate emergency medical attention is recommended. If the intake is much less than the threshold, we can choose to observe the dog is the dog has abnormalities, appear abnormalities and then seek medical attention.
Not all chocolate contains methylxanthine, some chocolate is made using cocoa butter, which is relatively safe for dogs. However, we should avoid dogs from accidentally eating chocolate during daily feeding.
Besides chocolate what other foods can make dogs poisoned
Grapes: The intake of grapes by dogs is also judged according to the threshold, dogs consuming large amounts of grapes can lead to kidney damage, and serious kidney failure can occur.
Nutmeg: These substances can cause neurological symptoms in dogs, including: convulsions, spasms, and in severe cases can also lead to cardiac arrest.
Acetaminophen: When a dog has a cough, many owners think the dog has a cold and will feed the dog acetaminophen for treatment, but an overdose of acetaminophen can lead to liver damage or even liver failure.
Dogs eating chocolate symptoms
Symptoms after a dog eats chocolate are thirst, heavy drinking, vomiting, diarrhea, urinary incontinence, mental agitation, hypersensitivity, paroxysmal spasms, seizures, coma, tachycardia, elevated blood pressure, shortness of breath, convulsions, foaming, urinary and fecal incontinence, rolling eyes, etc. Once you find that your dog has eaten chocolate, you should immediately take it to the hospital to induce vomiting, along with infusion therapy and detoxification shots.
Reasons for not eating chocolate
Because chocolate contains more theobromine, theobromine is a derivative of methylxanthine, dogs can not be effectively discharged after ingestion, ingesting a large number of dogs can be poisoned, methylxanthine is a strong central nervous system stimulant, it can cause sensory allergies, so that the dog has been in a state of excitement, and finally lead to dog nervous exhaustion, over-sensitive sensation, tachycardia, heart failure, respiratory depression and death.
How long after eating metabolism
Generally dogs may show signs of poisoning after eating chocolate by mistake for about five hours. Dogs eating chocolate may lead to severe diarrhea, diabetes, hypertension and other conditions, and in serious cases, shock, coma, if the dog is not in good health, or consume a large amount of chocolate, may die within five hours. So do not give your dog chocolate and chocolate products.
How to detoxify chocolate
Carry out emetic, promote the remaining chocolate in the gastrointestinal discharge, feed nerve stabilizers to prevent the dog from convulsions due to poisoning. Also administer fluids to regulate the dog's electrolytes that are disturbed by the poisoning and vomiting. Give the dog a quiet, flat place to rest and avoid stress and excitement. When the dog is no longer vomiting and diarrhea, feed a small amount of mild food to help the stomach and intestines recover.
How long does it take for a dog to be okay after eating chocolate
Dogs usually pass the danger period after 48 hours of eating chocolate. The theobromine and caffeine in chocolate can easily damage your dog's nervous system, causing hyperactivity, rapid heartbeat, diarrhea, vomiting, and other clinical symptoms that can endanger your dog's life. And if too much chocolate is consumed, it can cause the dog to die within 5 hours. If a dog is still unharmed 48 hours after consuming chocolate, it is generally safe to say that it has passed the danger period. But the danger has not been completely eliminated, the chocolate theobromine has accumulated in the body of the dog, metabolism is very slow, if the dog continues to eat chocolate, may lead to poisoning.
After 1 to 2 days of poisoning from picking onions, the dog will show red urine with varying shades of color and a soy sauce color in severe cases. Also, there will be a loss of appetite or spirit, weakness, a preference for lying on the ground, yellowing of the conjunctiva or oral mucosa, increased heartbeat, exhaled gas and urine, and feces that are characterized by the smell of onions. The owner should closely observe whether the dog has the above symptoms after feeding onion, and should be sent to the hospital for treatment when it appears. Owners should usually prohibit the dog from eating onions or onion-based foods.
If a toxic dose of grapes is ingested, the associated clinical signs will usually appear within a short period of time. If a toxic dose of grapes is not ingested, then it will not cause poisoning. The exact dose required depends on the weight of the dog, and if it is a large dog, some grape ingestion by mistake is usually good. If it is a small dog, then it needs to be examined at a veterinary hospital for this and not rely solely on clinical signs. This is because there is a degree of compensation of the internal organs after grapes have damaged them, and the compensation process usually does not show specific clinical signs, but instead causes damage. Under normal circumstances should be good grapes, onions, chocolate, xylitol and other foods that can easily lead to dog poisoning to avoid accidental ingestion.
Was this article helpful to you?
Other links in this article
Why is my dog's nose dry
I. Is it normal for my dog's nose to become dry? Dogs are exposed to the outside world with a sniff and then a lick, and their superb olfactory ability allows them to distinguish different objects by
Why are my dog's eyes red?
I. Why do dogs' eyes glow red? As more and more people have dogs, many questions have surfaced. The first thing you need to know is that it's not that easy to raise a dog, and it's not that different
Why is my dog peeing in the house?
I. Why Do Dogs Pee at HomeIn the process of raising a dog, why do many dogs like to pee at home? There are reasons for this, and today I'll tell you a few of the reasons that lead to dogs peeing at ho
Why is my dog panting at night
I. What's wrong with dogs panting at nightPanting is one of those phenomena that can occur when a dog is active as well as with tail wagging, and is usually nothing to worry about. However, what if th